Charles A. Hunt
Experience building loosely-coupled, service-oriented, distributed systems to scale with open source technologies and tools.
Passionate about building high quality applications and tools that solve real-world problems, helping clients improve their processes, and navigate or analyze their data.
July 2016 - Current: Senior Engineer - StackPath
- Design and build distributed platform services with a focus on security using Scala, Akka Streams, Cassandra, Kafka, Vault, and Eventuate.
April 2014 - August 2014, November 2015 - July 2016: Lead Software Engineer - Bottle Rocket
- Collaboratively drive the technology and team for backend projects serving data for mobile applications
- Build clean-burning distributed systems using Spray, Scaldi, Akka, DynamoDB, SQS, MongoDB, and AWS
- Problem solve issues related to large data sets, high throughput, and distributed systems concerns
August 2014 - November 2015, Scala Data Engineer - Research Now
Built distributed, scalable Scala/Cassandra backends to drive data collection handling 10s of thousands of requests per second
Built a streaming analytics system using Spark, Scala, Kafka, and Hadoop for checkpointing
Built a continuous integration pipeline using Jenkins, Git-flow, Ansible, EtcD, and some custom Scala scripts to tie it all together
April 2013 - April 2014, Software Developer - Principal Financial Group
- Migrate corporate application source to Maven builds and to 'Git' revision control. Provide support, experience, and documentation for Maven and 'Git'
- Act as an adviser, providing corporate standards for 'Git', Maven, Java and test-driven development through working groups and panels
- Develop applications supporting Principal's 'Financial Adviser Network' using Scala, MongoDB and the Play Framework
- Participate in corporate 'Code Jams' to quickly prototype concepts using new, sometimes unproven technology to showcase progressive ideas and feasibility of novel technology
Aug 2010 - April 2013, Java Software Developer - University of Iowa ITS-AIS
- Developed distributed student information systems in an Agile environment using Java EE with a mix of open source libraries and technologies
- Built a batch job framework from the ground up to manage and run large numbers of concurrent, distributed batch jobs. Solve challenging problems including with chaining, scheduling, and managing jobs concurrently and in parallel
- Worked with technical and non-technical customers to gather specifications and design interfaces to fit their functional and aesthetic requirements
- Gave large group presentations on software technologies and code demos
- Developed on the 'Financial Aid Module' to automate office processes, streamline student financial awarding, calculate financial awards, visualize data, create rule engines and rule sets for financial objects, and RESTful services to expose data to other systems
July 2011 - Present, Owner/Developer - Cornfluence LLC.
- Gathered use cases, user stories, and client specifications
- Developed web based inventory information systems for dealerships using Groovy on Grails
- Worked directly with clients to build systems to fit their business needs for managing inventory, clients, and also displaying that data to customers
- Managed software lifecycles, business operations of LLC, client relationships, direct teams of three or less on small projects
Strengths: Scala, Akka, Apache Spark, FP, Finagle/Spray/Play, Gatling, HTTP/REST, Cassandra/DynamoDB, Kafka
Intermediate Skills: Hadoop/Map-Reduce, ArangoDB, SQL/NoSQL, MongoDB, etcd
Formats/Protocols: JSON, REST/HTTP, TCP
OS: *nix, Mesos, DC/OS
Tools: AWS, Jenkins, Ansible, Git, zsh, Vagrant, IntelliJ
Education University of Iowa: Degree Received: May 2011
Major: Economics-BA (Major GPA 3.83)
- Univ. Iowa ACM Programming Competition - 5th
- AP Distinguished Scholar
- Dean’s List - multiple
- State Debate Finalist - 10'th in Iowa Legislative Debate
- National Debate Tournament qualifier and competitor - 2004
- 3rd Place - Principal team programming competition.
- Hunt, Charles 2016 Artificially Intelligent Communication Generation in Complex Computing Networks, United States 15/097,851 filed April 13, 2016 Patent Pending
- Project Euler - projecteuler.net
- Building/Designing 3D printers and aerial drones
- Recreational programming and mathematics